What is the trivago Tech Camp?
The Tech Camp is a 10-day event aimed at students with programming experience. The goal is to work on a software project in teams of two to five people guided by an experienced mentor from trivago. Throughout the 10 days, students will work on projects that could touch on a variety of topics: mobile development, the web data, connected objects, cloud computing the cloud, DevOps, data-science as well as best development practices. Pauses are used to engage in dialogue and deepen the topics presented.
The idea behind the Tech Camp is to give students the opportunity to learn about important modern technologies while working on real-world projects. Participants will learn a lot about professional software development and working in teams. They will also get the opportunity to meet trivago experts in various fields who can provide insight into how we work. We foster collaboration, not competition.
Our engineers love the challenges that their work presents to them on a daily basis and thrive in our agile environment where they can share their knowledge, learn from others, and work together to solve any problems that arise. We are always looking for ways to share the unique challenges we encounter and we strongly believe in sharing knowledge not only internally, but also with the tech community around the world.
Who can do it?
If you are studying Computer Science, Computational Engineering, Data Engineering, Data Science or a related field, and you are an enthusiastic learner who’s interested in working on real-world software projects mentored by experienced developers, we encourage you to take on this challenge! We expect you to be present during the full duration of the Tech Camp.
Since we have to follow visa regulations, you need to own at least one of the following:
- EU citizenship
- EU Working permit
- enrolled in an EU University during the time of the Tech Camp
What does trivago cover?
Lunch, snacks and drinks, you’ll be taken care of so you can work and learn productively.
Please note that we do not cover the accommodation cost. We will be happy to provide suggestions if needed, though. 😊
All the mentoring, workshops, and talks will be free of course.
What would the ideal Tech Camp project look like?
The ideal project:
- Offers an interesting mix of technologies
- Exposes the students to technology that is not covered at university
- Solves a real problem that people at trivago (or also, people outside of trivago) have faced
Additionally, it would be a bonus if the project resulted in a piece of open-source software that is useful to people outside of trivago. Last year’s included:
- Retrieving historic WebPageTest data, feeding it into InfluxDB, and visualizing it through Grafana.
- Retrieving a Google Document and converting it to Markdown.
- Automating and synchronizing large numbers of file uploads to an API.
- Creating a web application that would let us track conference visits and gather feedback and reviews.
Where and when will Tech Camp take place?
The trivago Tech Camp 2019 starts on the 19th of August 2019 and ends on the 30th of August 2019 at the trivago Headquarters in Düsseldorf. Participants will work on their projects during business hours from Monday to Friday.
What is the agenda?
- Intro to the Tech Camp and trivago
- Allocation of topics/mentors/teams
- Tools & Framework we used to work together
- Week 1 Retrospective
- Project work
- 2 learning sessions (UX/UI & how to present)
- Interaction with trivago experts
- Project Presentation to the trivago Tech Leads
- Half-day team event to close up the Tech Camp
What does the application process look like?
Once you apply, you will be redirected to a case-study that should take no longer than 2-3 hours. Up to 20 candidates will be selected from all applications we receive.